Thursday, June 7, 2018

Log 6/7 - Importing Save Data


So I'm really indecisive about save data structure. Don't let my terrible habits prevent you from picking up where you left off in subsequent updates.




I try to keep the save files in DateND as compatible as possible from one version to another, however I've also been experimenting with different naming conventions and while I feel like I've finally settled on a decision, I can't promise that the save location won't ever change again - especially if the save structure ever changes so drastically that I need to prevent the game from reading old saves. So if you ever update and suddenly lose your save data, let me see if I can help get them back.

First things first: GMS2 games save files to "C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\[game title]", and in this case the game title would be "DateND_Studio2". In that folder you'll probably see one or more of the following:

  • DATA - If you're real old school and played v0.0.1
  • DATA_0_1 - If you played v0.1.1
  • DATA_0_1_1 - I don't think this was ever used in a public build, so if you have this congratulations you played some extremely rare version of the game
  • DATA_g2 - If you're reading this after v0.2.1 came out, this is what DateND will be using from now on
  • trace.txt - Useful to me if you run into any bugs
If you want to import an old save file, find the folder of whichever version you want to import from, and copy "sav00.ini" from that folder into the current version's folder. (Note: you will need to run the game until it saves at least once to be sure the current version's folder has been created)

And that should be it. If you run into any strange bugs, or if the game crashes on loading a save file, it may be due to importing old saves (crashes really shouldn't be possible unless you tamper with the save directly, but stat oddities might occur).

Sidenote: if the game crashes while saving and you lose your "sav00.ini" file, just rename "sav00b.ini" to "sav00.ini" to revert to your last save.

No comments:

Post a Comment